Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Honesty

This past week for Shaquel has had some ups and downs. She definitely was "up" when she was on morphine, and loratab, you know the good stuff. Then she was "down" when they told her she didn't need it anymore and that she could go home. Wasn't that good, happy news? Yes, it was, but oh how she longed for just a little more morphine. When we visited her on Sunday, she admitted to me and I QUOTE ," I REALLY liked that morphine. That was some good stuff." We need to keep an eye on that girl!
In all honesty, this week has been a hard week for Shaquel. As tough as this girl is, recovery has not been an easy thing. It hasn't been as fast as she had hoped for. She said to me "I have been optimistic about this whole thing and last night (Monday) I was up all night and allowed myself to really think things through. I found myself worrying about the results and when would we get them. I even read some literature and statistics on breast cancer and I am scared to death. The what ifs are playing over and over in my mind. Do I have enough faith and optimism to not let fear overcome me?" The answer to that question is simple...yes, of course you do! You have 7 beautiful children to continue to live for. It is true, she has been optimistic, so much that a nurse meeting her for the first time commented on how Shaquel is inspiring because of how much optimism she has. It's been amazing to me as well. You can hear it in her voice, see it in her walk. This girl is out to beat this cancer and fight with everything she has. Here is her "plan of attack" for the next couple of weeks:
  • recover from surgery
  • have energy
  • get off all pain killers :}
  • get the "grenade" out ( a term used for this plastic container that has fluids draining into it from the surgery)
  • get as strong and healthy as I can before I start Chemo
  • stay and be positive
  • get some sleep
  • take a shower!
  • be able to wash my own hair
This sounds like it's going to be a fun filled 2 weeks!
Shaquel would like me to thank everyone for your prayers, your visits, the encouragement and love that she has received this far. Thank you also for your help with her kids. Jim you are an awesome husband and dad! We know that you are capable of doing it all. We just don't want you to get wore out. Don't take it personal that Savannah asks for Aunt Darlene to come and do her hair in the morning for school. It's okay. You are still a good person. You just might need some practice sessions first before she has confidence in your hairstyling technique. :}

Thanks again, keep those prayers coming. Every prayer counts!

3 comments:

  1. I started to type "I don't know what to say", then I knew that I did know what to say, My heart is going out to you. I am so sorry that you have to go through this but I'm also confident that you will learn, grow, and inspire others to overcome! to fight! to battle with a smile and to have faith! I got really down a few weeks ago with what i'm going through and I even had the thought "I'd rather have cancer because then I could be told to fight instead of being told to do nothing, lay down and maybe you'll make it maybe you won't" But then I realized that It may not be a physical fight that is required of me, but a spiritual one. That lifted me so much and I know that if we fight hard spiritually our bodies can heal, even if our bodies aren't strong enough! YOu inspire me so much Shaq and i'll be praying for you to have the strength to fight, for your family to be inspired and guided on what your needs really are, and that others will be inspired ot serve you. I know Heavenly Father is watching you and I'm sure he has faith in you, that you'll win this battle, and every other one that may come your way. Whether spiritually, emotionally, or physically. They all seem to come in diffrent forms at the worst times. I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're officialy shaquel blog readers now! We'll watch for up-dates and keep the prayers comin'!
    *The Shanan Kelly Family*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let Shaquel know that I love her sooo dearly! She was one of the best Young Womans leaders i've had. She can beat this! My Aunt beat breast cancer 8 years ago. She did it with fierce determination, just how I imagine Shaquel will. She is in my prayers ALWAYS!

    ReplyDelete