Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Test results

We just received the test results from Shaquel's surgery and we have good and bad news. The GREAT news is that the other breast does NOT have cancer. The lump they removed from the other side was just fibroid tissue. The other GREAT news is that out of the 20 lymph nodes that they removed, only 3 showed to have cancer. However, the tests confirmed that the type of cancer she has is very aggressive, but can't be predicted. There is no way to tell how fast it can or will spread. The doctors advised Shaquel to schedule a mastectomy. She will return to the surgical room on Oct. 9th to have the procedure done. Because of the aggressiveness of this cancer she will need to have Chemo. She will need to be fully healed from this surgery before she can begin her treatments. This will take about 3 weeks. So we are looking at the end of Nov. before any Chemo treatments. On Monday she will meet with a plastic surgeon, as well as her cancer doc. to go over any other options and discuss further plans. She thinks that tomorrow she will get the grenade drip taken out of her arm and be able to go home. I think that she has thoroughly enjoyed her stay at her moms. Thanks again for all your prayers and phone calls. I will continue to keep you posted with this blog. Feel free to send a message her way using this blog as well.

12 comments:

  1. shaquel -my thoughts are with you! While I know that this is such a scary thing (especially in the long hours of the night), I also know that you can meet this challenge with a great deal of power. There is really no other way to know what we are capable of doing until we go to the edge of our endurance - and take another step. . . I am pulling for you! Love ya - Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaq, you are the best. You have always been an inspiration to me since YW days and I know you will continue to inspire us all through this challenge. I think I'll quit complaining about my stuffed up nose :) We love you so much, and are praying for you. stay close to the spirit, girl. You'll do great. Love, Shad and Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shaquel, although this must seem so scary I have have full confidence you will handle it well & once again amaze everyone with how awesome & strong you are. You are a powerhouse of faith, endurance & love! I have seen first hand how many things you have dealt with in your life & you overcome them all & continue to. I love you & will be there for ya. Love Tiesha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, you are in big trouble if you are coming home Friday! I'm the designated cook for that day and I'll just warn you that I am not Betty Crocker!!! But I will send cookies and my family does like them!!!! I am good with laundry and am gifted with toilets!!! Also Refrigerators.....I enjoy cleaning those things so I will help! I will see you soon. Hang in there, but i know you will because you have more spunk and optimism than anyone that I know.

    Love--Celeste, Kendall, and the little Anderson tribe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh good! I am so grateful for this blog! I have been getting bits and pieces of information-so this is great! Shaq-we love you and haven't stopped thinking about you since we heard the news! You're a fighter, you'll beat this! If you can handle Jimmy-you can handle anything ;) Hopefully we'll see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shaquel

    Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this time. Stay strong and remeber the lord is with you every step of the way. Keep the faith

    We love you, Pam and Cory Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shaquel, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you begin this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are one of the strongest people I know! I know you will get through this with flying colors:) You are always in my thoughts and prayers.. Love ya:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shaquel I wrote something once but some how it went in syber space cause it not here so I want you to know between you and marianne's blog Glenn and I cried like big boobs...lol
    But we want you to know you will beat this many have and you have a date next summer in California with us and we are planning it for all so we can meet the family's but mostly for yours cuz you said you would be here..Our prayers are with you. Take care ..Love ya your my favorite niece shhhh so tell anyone..
    Aunt Marlene and Uncle Glendon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Shaquel, We just got back from a cruise with Stephen Leavitt and his family. I told him what little I knew about your condition. He said to be sure and say hi. We are including you in our prayer. I hope you can draw strenth from our prayers, I know there are a lot being offered in your behalf.
    See ya soon Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad to hear that she only has cancer in a few of those nodes but I will be praying for her and keeping her in my prayers as she faces her upcoming struggles. I have faith in her and know she'll fight. :) She's lucky to have such an amazing family :)))))

    ReplyDelete