Monday, October 19, 2009

Life just keeps getting better!

This past weekend just flew by. My sister has been in town along with my sister-in-law . We went shopping and went out to lunch . It was fun just looking in all the stores and really just visiting with one another.
I decided since I wasn't alone I would go look for a wig. The professionals say you should do this while you have hair. I haven't looked forward to it, but didn't think it would be that difficult. Well, let's just say it was harder then I thought. I ended up looking around, but the lady working was so pushy. She kept saying to me, "Just try a few on," while following me around.
So, I walked out. Yep, I just walked out holding back the tears. I thought to myself: it's amazing how me, along with everyone else, is always wanting to look different. We want to change our shape, be taller or shorter, take away our wrinkles, have thicker or thinner, longer or shorter hair. OK, I have to admit I have always wanted to have dark olive skin and long dark hair with long legs.
But now my hair that I have always had will be gone and not by my choice. Yes, I know you are all saying it will grow back, and you are right, but the doctors say it could be a different COLOR, texture, curly or straight. And now all of a sudden I like how I look! (I guess its about time). So I guess what I am saying to all of you out there is to just love who you are and what you look like now.
After I got home I was mad at myself for not just dealing with it while I was there. So, I am going back up on Wednesday to get one. I WILL NOT leave the store without buying one or ordering one along with a few scarfs and hats. This weekend was just a small dose of reality that I think I needed and obviously will be living real soon.
Today I recieved really good news. My BRCA test came back. The results say that my cancer is not passed down genetically so I can't pass this to my girls. Yahoooooo!
I hope this post doesn't sound depressing. I didn't want it to. I just want to be honest with everyone on how I feel with what's going on. I am good and I do love my hair and will love whatever I get when it grows back. I hate to sound dramatic because there is always the chance that it will grow back just the way it is now, but if not, I will still love life!
I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday and will try to update!

No Regrets, Shaquel

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaquel, You're an awesome lady. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Love,
    Shanan and Becky Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your hair as it is now too - it is very complimentary to your gorgeous skin tone and eyes! Maybe the shop can custom order you something similar? That way you'll still look like you do now...

    I am glad to hear you are getting more and more good news...but stop holding your sister hostage - share please. JK! Hi Teisha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shaquel I know you probably don't know me but I am Jerry and Mindy Martinsens daughter. My mom had cancer and had to get a wig and really liked the place called "Creative Wigs" it's on 900 S Bluff Street #3. The lady was not pushy at all and she was very helpful. she gave my mom some free stuff there. I would try that one out, If you didn't like the one you went to. If you have any questions you can leave a comment on my blog jennaandwade@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shaquel I love your beautiful hair!! Its so firey red, so pretty. I bet you anything that you will get it back, if not then you'll still be as gorgeous as you are today.
    My aunt had to go through the same thing as you, she had long curly black hair, and when it grew back, she had long straight blonde hair. Thats wayyy pretty! No matter what, you will be! With or without. :)
    Im so happy for all this good news!!!!! :D
    I love you loaddddddds. You are AMAZING!
    Your always in my prayers.

    Jessica :)

    ReplyDelete