Wednesday, November 18, 2009

What a Day!

What a day! I left this morning for St. George at 9am and returned home at 5:30 pm. Don't think I was out shopping or out eating lunch or hanging with family and friends. I spent the day visiting 3 Dr's and at the hospital doing lab work for two of my doctors. They all agree I am healing well and keep reminding me that I had a very serious surgery so stop being so impatient with the healing process. When I came home I was feeling pretty good just really sore but my the weekend I was in severe pain. I think I just did more then I was supposed to. Today is the first day that I actually feel good and not so tired. My chest still hurts, especially at night when I lay down and today my Dr's told me to buck up because it was actually going to hurt for at least the next 6 months maybe even up to a year. I just looked at one of my Dr's and at his notepad and said"what new pain pills would you like to perscribe me " (I did say it smiling). Maybe these new pain meds will help.

I spent 2 hours with my chemotherapy oncologist. He is really nice and explained what chemo I will be taking, apparently there are several different kinds even for people with the same type of cancer. I will start out for 4 months and go every 2 weeks. Next Thursday I go into the hospital and they will put a port in my chest. This a a device that will hook up to my IV to run the medicine in my body which is basically poison. It is better then going every two weeks and trying to find a vein to put the IV in.

This Friday I go back up to do more testing. I cant remember what the test is called I just know it is going to tell the Dr's how or if I can handle the chemo. I will start my chemo treatments Dec 8th and due to the type of medicine and it being my first time I will be pretty sick. Apparently it will take 5-7 hours the first time . The medicine is administered slowly through the IV and then the Dr's are able to monitor me to make sure I don't have some bad reaction to it.

I am nervous but so ready to get started. I hate the wait!!!!!!!

By the way yesterday you may have heard how the guidelines are changing to change the age of when you should get a mammogram. DON'T LISTEN start going when you are 40. In the waiting rooms today and all the medical personnel were talking about how foolish it is. Many of the patients think that it is a strategy from Obama to cut health care reform?But for whatever reason please don't listen and get checked. This has been a very emotional roller coaster and if I hadn't gotten checked I would not have felt the lump for probably another year and it would have been to late. I can't even imagine.

3 comments:

  1. You looked great when I saw you Thurs. morn :) Keep up your good work, you are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're soooo awesome!
    I am so thankful that you were proactive and you're not finding out about this for the first time next year!
    I was literally SICK when I heard that on the news. I have been thinking that they needed to move it younger, NOT older! Seriously, at 36 I've had 2 mams (and will get another one every year from here on out) and 3 necessary colonoscopies. (Ewwweeee..I wonder who all's reading this..oh well!)
    Love ya Shaq!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did they acctually do to you? I am sorry you are in pain and that you must go through this,I would hate to have what you are going through. You are in my prayers Shaqeul.

    ReplyDelete