Sunday, December 13, 2009

Stay Positive!

Do you know how hard it is to stay positive when you are
feeling nauseous and weak every second of the day? EXTREMELY !
Shaquel is trying her hardest to maintain her level of optimism...from the first day she was told she had cancer, up to
NOW (5 days after first treatment).
After a second visits to the hospital to get fluids pumped
in for dehydration, she was able to get a steroid shot for nausea, and for THAT night, things were
calm.
The drs. have told her that day five will be her light at the end of the tunnel
day, and last time I spoke with her, she was beginning to feel some relief. I pray everyday
that she can have just one that's all I'm asking just one less trip to the toilet. I
don't think that's asking too much. Do you? I promise my prayers
will get better as time goes on...
When I talk to Shaquel about how she is doing, I usually will say, "On a scale
of 1-10 how are you?" (10 feeling great, 1 the opposite) She has
responded in the past with 5, and then on up. After this weeks conversations
with her, I didn't need the scale. There was NO scale. I could
hear it in her voice. She has been pretty miserable to say the least. I know she
could use some positive encouragement from friends and family. Not that you haven't, she just needs more and so.......here is a little contest for you.
She has requested that WE use humor to help lift her spirits. She would like to invite
you to participate in finding the BEST cancer joke out there and post it on her blog.
She, when she's not barfing, will judge your joke and post a winner for the week.
I know what you are thinking because I thought it too. A joke about cancer...
How insensitive!
Not for this girl.
It has been said that "laughter is a potential influence in healing."
"Laughing at cancer takes away some of the sting"
"Cancer hates a sense of humor"
"Laughter can sooth and heal tender hearts"
I believe this is all true! Shaquel has had a sense of humor with this whole thing right
from the start. She told one of her dr. that they were going
to become really good friends because of how often she was going to be seeing him, hence
came the request for a Christmas present. "Don't you give your really good friends a
Christmas present," she said. Can you not hear her saying that. What
a crack up!
So, do you except the challenge? I know it WILL brighten her day
and give her something to look forward to.
Let the GAMES begin!

8 comments:

  1. Top Ten Ways To Know You Are A Cancer Survivor
    10 Your alarm clock goes off at 6 a.m. and you're glad to hear it.
    9. Your mother-in-law invites you to lunch and you just say NO.
    8. You're back in the family rotation to take out the garbage.
    7. When you no longer have an urge to choke the person who says, "all you need to beat cancer is the right attitude."
    6. When your dental floss runs out and you buy 1000 yards.
    5. When you use your toothbrush to brush your teeth and not comb your hair.
    4. You have a chance to buy additional life insurance but you buy a new convertible car instead.
    3. Your doctor tells you to lose weight and do something about your cholesterol and you actually listen.
    2. When your biggest annual celebration is again your birthday, and not the day you were diagnosed.
    1. When you use your Visa card more than your hospital parking pass.

    Top

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been reported that the breast cancer rate would be cut in half if women would eat a low-fat diet. Now, if a woman has already lost half her breasts, can she go back to square one and eat a high-fat diet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shaq...I don't know any jokes, but I am really good at catching vomit in a bucket, washing out a hot wash cloth, and grabbing the mouthwash! Let me know if you need me! I hope you find relief soon! Hang in there! We love you!
    Love, Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. A man isn't feeling well, so he goes to see his doctor. The doctor examines him, and then asks to speak with his wife. The doctor tells his wife that her husband has cancer. The wife asks "can he be cured?". The doctor replies "there's a chance we can cure him with chemotherapy, but you will need to take care of him every day for the next year - cooking all the meals, cleaning up the vomit, changing the bed pan, driving him to the hospital for daily treatments, and so on".

    When the wife comes out to the waiting room, the husband asks her what the doctor said.
    The wife answers "he said that you're going to die".

    Hope the nausea isn't so bad with the next round!
    Jamie Wakefield

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Shaq,
    I found this funny on the internet. Then I started trying to come up with a joke you can play on your hubbie. I'll let you know when I come up with something good.
    Love ya!


    After a man's first radiation treatment, he was laying in bed that night. The children were finally all asleep. He and his wife could, at last, talk about the day events. They talked about several things, always dancing around how the radiation treatment had gone.

    Finally, the wife asked how he was feeling. He told her pretty good, but that his skin was a little tender. The wife offered to take a look, pulled the covers back and gasped -- there was a strange green glow coming out from under the blankets.

    He had taken a "Glow-stick" and hidden it under the covers.


    Copyright, 1998, Glenn Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to go google a joke...hope your spirits are up and know that I am thinking of you and your family and you are in my prayers.

    TELEPHONE TAG*
    A doctor calls a patient to report on a bone scan and biopsy. The patient is out so the doctor leaves a message to call. As usual, no medical details are left.

    After a day of telephone tag, the doctor and the patient finally get together on the phone. Says the doctor in a matter of fact voice, "I have good news and bad news. Which will you have first?"

    "The good news." "OK. The reports say that your cancer has metastasized all over and that you have 48 hours to live." "You call that good news? It must be the bad news. What could possibly be worse?"

    "Well, the bad news is that I tried to call you yesterday."

    ReplyDelete
  7. and one more...just to make you laugh :) slightly disturbing, but...ha-ha

    Christmas

    Little Johnny wakes up on christmas morning, runs downstairs and is greeted by his parents and hundreds of presents under the tree.

    "Oh Wow!" cries Little Johnny as he starts tearing away at all the wrapping paper. Little Johnny is so excited as he opens the presents. He has a brand new BMX, a skateboard, a playstation, a brand new PC, a scooter, a climbing frame - everything a little boy would want.

    When he finishes opening all the presents, Little Johnny asks his parents if he can go round to Little Timmy's house to tell him about all the wonderful presents he got.

    "Of course you can Little Johnny, off you go, but be back before dinner!"

    So off Little Johnny goes, and gets to Little Timmy's house.

    "Oh Timmy! This is the best christmas EVER! I got a playstation, a BMX, a new computer - everything i could ever want!!"

    "Oh your so lucky", replies Little Timmy, "I wish I had cancer."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shaquel,

    I have been thinking about you and praying for you. I am going thru chemo treatments also but I have been luckier in the side effects. Nani Woods sent me your blog and I was grateful to hear you're feeling better. My blog is debbiewildwildwest.blogspot.com. Here is the joke you requested:

    I sent this to my son Toby as a Christmas Card:

    There is a photo of a cow on the front of the card wearing a Santa hat. Underneath it says, "All I want for Christmas if my two front teets!" Inside the verse is "Have an udderly wonderful Christmas" That is my wish for you.

    If I can do anything for you just let me know 346-0225 Debbie Davis Basora

    ReplyDelete