Sunday, March 28, 2010

No More Chemotherapy

I am finished with my chemo treatments! I woke up Thursday morning so excited to head off to see the Doc. I had cinnamon rolls made by my friend Tara for Dr. H. and the nurses. (They loved them.) I wanted to celebrate somehow and show my appreciation and couldn't think of a better way than food.



Every visit I have my labs drawn first and then go in to see my Dr. After the Dr. I go into another room across the hall for my chemo treatment. I felt excitement and a little giddy inside waiting for the Dr. My appointment went great. And my labs didn't look too bad. He kept saying, "You did it Shaquel, you finished chemo, as difficult as it was you did it and with such a good attitude."



Well, I was fine until he said that. He gave me a hug and I shed a few tears. I just love Dr. H. I put so much trust in him. He also had to remind me that I will still feel weak and tired for 6-12 months even though I am done with my treatment.



After leaving the Dr. I headed over for my LAST chemotherapy. I ended up being there all day. The Dr. had increased my chemo so it took alittle longer. When I was leaving the nurses gave me hugs and a few gifts. You feel so close to them because they have seen you at your worst and you really rely on them. Although I know I will still see them in the next few weeks and for the next 5 years on this day I felt like I had just accomplished and endured something that was extraordinary that they shared with me.



As I was driving home I started crying then sobbing. I felt so many emotions: RELIEF, relief that this part is over, then EXHAUSTION, feeling so tired mentally, emotionally, physically, and yet, EXCITEMENT and even GUILT. Two of the men in treatment with me today are having severe side effects and they were going to be moved into the hospital that day. Glad that was not me but guilty because I was so fortunate its wasn't. Of course by the time I made it home I was fine. I opened up my car door to children yelling" mom your home and you won't be getting your sick medicine anymore." I am so blessed.



I will find out exactly what the plan is on Tuesday after another Dr's app. For now I get to recoup and get all my counts up for at least the next 3-4 weeks.

4 comments:

  1. Hallelujah! So happy for you! This major challenge has proven one more time how strong you are & has shown your ability to "endure to the end". I hope in these next few weeks you are able to get back some energy & see more light coming at the end of the tunnel. Lots of love from Gilbert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeaaaaaah!!!! I am so glad you are all done!!! I knew you could do it. You are amazing! Love ya, Misti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for no more chemo! Continued prayers for you as you continue to recover and heal.
    You're amazing, Shaquel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't begin to comprehend how you have handled chemo in and of itself. Add motherhood to that and my brain wants to explode. You are amazing and it is inspiring to read through your blog. You are in our prayers as you start radiation--we hope it is smooth sailing! Mary

    ReplyDelete