Monday, March 15, 2010

Rough Weekend




I can't believe how long it has been since I posted. I am so sorry. I now know why I have been getting more phone calls from many of you concerned with how I am doing.


Where do I begin? The week before chemo I had several side effects that were quite painful. My feet and hands hurt. The Dr's call it a tingling sensation, I don't. I feel like I am on fire. The tighter my socks and shoes are the better it feels. I keep rubbing my hands together, if I squeeze them tight it feels better. My doctor prescribed me more medicine for the pain but, it knocks me out. Who has time to be knocked out when you have kids running wild.



I had chemo this past Thursday. I felt great until Friday at 5pm. It started with the ringing in my ears and feeling like I had a earache, then the pain spread to my head and neck. It finished with the nausea and not keeping anything down for two days. Not to mention the pain I have in my bones all the time. My husband has been helpful, he took all the kids to the sand dunes for the weekend. I hate having them see me so sick. Its nice knowing they are out having a good time and don't have to watch me. Chemo is a strange thing. Chemo knocks me on my butt, and then just as I am getting back on my feet its time for another round of treatment. Psychologically this has been the most difficult challenge I have faced. While the purpose of chemo is to make you better, it sure doesn't feel like it while your going through it. But I'm on the up and up.



For the great news, I only have one more treatment left. I am excited, relieved and tired. I pray I never have to go through chemo again. I was reading a book about cancer and it listed good things about cancer and the not so good. The not so good is that cancer is like your shadow at least for a couple of years.



If any of you wear red lipstick Elizabeth Arden is selling different shades of red lipstick and 100% of the proceeds go to a program that the Cancer society provides called "Look good feel better". It is for women who get to learn how to put makeup on with out eyebrows and lashes, teaches them about how to wears wigs, scarves, and then gives them makeup that will not irritate their face while going through chemo. I went to the class and it was very helpful. So just in case your interested its by Elizabeth Arden.



I just have to mention a few funny things my kids said today-

"Mom I'm glad you bought this house you did a good job picking it out" I asked whats your favorite part about it. "she said that we have enough room to plant a garden" Savannah



"Mom, I really don't like your new haircut, but when you comb my hair I want my hair cut like yours." Asia, while I was combing her hair.



"Mom do you ever wonder how you got so lucky to have such a good looking son?"

Rudy

1 comment:

  1. Hello dear sister, good post! I am so sad you have to feel so much pain. It doesn't seem fair to me, but I am grateful you are willing to tell about it. It definetely brings perspective. I think most woes in life are rather insignificant at times, we need others to help us take a better look at what matters and focus on that. I love ya, & am grateful you are such neat, loving, thoughtful person.

    ReplyDelete